Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Writing Class

Last night was our second writing class and in my opinion it was just as great as the first. We did less writing in class, but we got a lot more notes and we had our first story workshop. I didn't present a story, but it was good to hear the other stories and pick up notes from them. One guy that presented had an interesting world, but he was lacking on description and threw a lot of new terms and ideas at the reader right from the get go. It really made me realize that it is important to give readers some kind of point of reference. Don't just make everything alien and throw it all right in their face from the beginning. You need to give them something they understand as well, so they don't get so lost.

I almost can't describe how much I am enjoying the class so far. I really like the teacher, I think she has good information to present. I like how small the class is. I like the subject matter most of all. Not only is it a writing class, but it is a writing class about writing Sci-fi and fantasy stuff. That is so my genre. I can come up with the most off the wall idea and nobody would really bat an eye.

There is something to be said for taking a class where you actually care about the subject matter too. When the BF first started culinary school and started taking his classes he talked to me about how right it felt to be there, how he could feel in his soul that he was doing what he truly wanted and needed to do. I kinda feel that way about this class. Of course, having never really felt that before I can only assume this is what it feels like.

Next week it will be my turn to workshop a story. Thankfully I already know what I am doing and have the story mostly planned out. All I have remaining to do is write it.

You know, the hard part.

I hope the writing class continues to meet my expectations. We've only had 2 classes and the sad part is that we only have 4 more to go. I wish it were longer. I really enjoy having the opportunity for feedback and having a reason to push me to write. If the class were free I would just take it over and over again, but alas. So I shall just make the most of it while I am there.

No comments:

Post a Comment