Friday, May 27, 2011

Clearing Out the Clutter

I don't meditation as much as I need to. Now I know, some of you out there think meditation is something only hippy dippy tree huggers do. Or something only those crazy Asians do. Or some combination of the two. But I have found that meditation is a great way to center the mind, to get back into balance. Studies have shown it is a great way to relieve stress too. Just stopping for a few minutes and clearing out the mind can be of great benefit to just about everyone.

Unfortunately it is easier said than done.

My mind seems to be constantly running. It is like a refrigerator. It's cooling tubes and frost making doohickeys are constantly in motion, constantly running around make sure everything is staying nice and cold. Or in my brain's case making sure there is constantly some thought rumbling around in my head. And since part of meditation is letting go of all those thoughts in your head, well, sometimes I struggle with it. It takes forever to get my brain to calm down and stop running.

I don't like to tell people what to do. I spent most of my childhood being told what I needed to do and I resented it. I still do resent it. But I will offer advice and my advice today is to give meditation a try. It is hard to do at times, but the simple fact is that we need to clear out the clutter from time to time. If we let our brains get too jam packed with thoughts and half remembered lists and regrets and wants...then we will lose track of the important things. So try to take a moment and do some brain cleaning. Just close your eyes, relax, and try to put all those thoughts out of your brain. And let go of all the clutter in your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment