Sunday, May 15, 2011

Thor

Just a disclaimer, but most of this post is going to be about the movie Thor. I don't think I will be saying anything that is a huge spoiler, but just in case, if you haven't seen the movie realize you are reading at your own risk.

First off let me say that I really enjoyed the movie. Was it the best comic book super hero movie I've seen? Probably not, but it was really good. The director did a top notch job,as did the actors and set designers and just basically everyone involved with the movie. I loved the visuals, I was rooting for the actors, and this was basically a world I wanted to live in.

I'm a huge sucker for mixing the magical and the technological together. As the famous quote from Arthur C. Clarke says "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." And Thor was a movie that embraced that quote fully. The Asgardians are shown to be more technologically advanced than us, up to a point that what they can do seems like magic. The rainbow bridge, Odin's staff, even the giant Destroyer robot, all appear to be some advanced technology and mystical creations at the same time. I can only marvel at how well the two aspects blended together. I want to watch the movie again just so I can take in all the details more.

I also really enjoyed the character of Loki. I thought the writers and the actor did a great job of portraying him and giving us enough details that we got into his skin. I empathized with him and by the end I felt more concerned for him than I did glad that he got defeated. Of course like all good villians he will be back, and that makes me happy.

My only two quibbles with the movie are that whenever the focus shifted to Earth the movie seemed to slow down a bit and I thought the whole romance sub plot felt a little unnecessary. Don't get me wrong there. If I had a smoking hot Norse god fall into my lap I'd be all about him too. But they seemed to be forcing them into this romance that just wasn't there, especially in the end. I can buy that the two of them were in lust, that they thought the other was cute and wanted to try dating the other, but I don't buy that they suddenly had this connection and they became completely infatuated with each other. At least they didn't start throwing the "love" word around.

Over all, I'm going to give this movie 4 stars out of 5. It was good enough that I will probably purchase it again when it comes out. I doubt I will go see it again in the theaters, but that is mainly because funds are tight at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment