Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Switching It Up

I'm trying something new today. Instead of sitting in the living room writing out my post on my laptop, I'm sitting in the computer room writing it on my desktop. I'm switching it up, trying new things. Living on the edge.

I am such a rebel.

While I enjoy sitting in the living room and using my laptop for writing, it is not exactly a place free of distractions. I sit next to a giant open window and I often find myself gazing out it as I post and losing my train of thought. Sitting in front of me is our TV, which I try to keep off while writing, but even in the off position I still find it distracting. It is like some looming black monster that is begging for me to turn it on and use it. It is very co-dependent like that. It lives to be used and abused by me.

Maybe changing my writing location was a mistake. Only two paragraphs in and I've veered dangerously close to S&M territory.

Moving on, last night was writing class and it continues to delight and inform. I spent two hours yesterday going over my story and cleaning it up and I was fairly pleased with it by the end. It was still rough around the edges but it was better than when I first wrote it. And it was pretty well received, at least in my opinion. I got some really good criticism and I know what places need work now. I am a little torn as to whether to work on it anymore or not. I think it is a good story, but not the best I am capable of and I don't want to spend too much time on a story I may end up doing nothing with.

However, writing is a process and the best way to improve is to go about the process. I could only learn more by editing it further and even trying to submit it. Plus I have a tendency to be really hard on the stories I write, so it may be that this story does have merit.

So in the interest of being decisive and proactive, I have decreed that I will edit the story again and see if I can find a place to submit it. There, done.

Something tells me that is easier said than done.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, please finish the story! You can look for places to submit at duotrope.com.

    ReplyDelete