Thursday, May 26, 2011

Breaking Up is Hard to Do

I have played World of Warcraft since the game launched in November 2004. That comes out to be over 6 years. Not once in those 6 years did I cancel my account. Even if I didn't play for several weeks or a month, I kept the account active. Now, however, I am thinking of cancelling it.

I could rant on and on about the many reasons I have for cancelling. This current expansion has flaws, at least in my opinion, flaws that have sucked the enjoyment out of the game for me. From the extremely overused villain group, the lack of new zones, boring quests...it has all lost its spark. I would like to dump all the blame on the lackluster expansion. But it is more than that.

I think after over 6 years of the game, I'm just tired of everything it has to offer. I don't want to raid anymore. It takes up too much time and the current raids, well, they don't thrill me. I don't care about achievements. I can't stomach the repetitiousness of daily quests. I actively hate the PVP in WoW. And I don't care anything about doing the questlines anymore. Yeah they got changed a lot in Cataclysm, but not enough. It is still the same old, same old. I've done it all before, or at least it feels like it.

I used to play WoW to see what new thing they were coming up with. And as of this expansion...well...I don't really feel like I have anything new left to see. Even the "new" mounts I see in game just look like reskins of mounts I already have, or have seen.

As much as I would like to blame the game and its faults, it may also just be that I've changed. WoW used to be a big social outlet for me and I don't use it as such. I have friends and plenty of social things to do outside of game. And as nice as my guild mates are, I don't have any personal connections to them. Not anymore.

I haven't cancelled my subscription yet. Given all I have said before I don't know why I am having trouble doing it. I made it to the actual page today but I didn't click the button. Breaking up is hard to do. This game has been in my life for a long time now. Even though I know it is time to leave, it is hard to press that button.

No comments:

Post a Comment