Thursday, May 19, 2011

Flotsam and Jetsam

So some random things that are floating at the surface of my brain today. Enjoy the variety!

I went to Ikea yesterday. I know amongst some Ikea has a bad reputation. It is said that their stuff is poor quality and not worth the money. I personally love Ikea. I think walking in their warehouse is a bit like going to the Disneyland of Home Decorating. I love their little room mock-ups and I find simply walking around the warehouse to be inspirational. And I disagree that all of their stuff is low quality. I love getting their bookcases, which do seem to last a very long time. I think they have good desks and some of their kitchen wares looked great too. I doubt I would use them for beds or couches, though their couches looked alright. So I've never understood why people are so down on Ikea. I think they are just great.

The night before last was writing class and instead of having class we all went to listen to a sci-fi writer speak. Friend Christy and I went and had dinner beforehand, which was great fun. And the talk was interesting. He read some from one of his brand new, not yet released books and then answered some questions from the audience. I took away some good ideas from his talks about his writing methods, though I am still not sure that his books are quite for me. I may pick one up and try it, but since my shelves are overflowing with books for me to read, I may not.

I can't remember if I've talked about it here or not, but I am seriously thinking I'm going to be taking a technical writer certificate course soon. This writing class has really reminded me how much I enjoy the craft and from what I've researched technical writing is a good way to write and make money, which I sorely need to do. I am quite hopeful it works out.

We are finally getting to the end of the "Fall" TV season. I put Fall in quotation marks because it seems sort of ridiculous to call a TV season that starts in mid-Fall and stretches through winter and into mid-Spring a Fall TV season. I also find it ridiculous to call a show that runs through Fall, takes a 4 to 6 week break in Winter, and then resumes one season of a show. If you are taking that long of a break you might as well call it two seasons and be realistic about it. Regardless, our main shows are winding down which means having a nice break to get caught up and get ready for new shows this Summer. I am actually thinking I want to cut down on some of the TV we watch. Some of it just isn't that good and I have so many other things I could be doing.

Oh and one final note for those that might be curious as to the previous debate. For now I will continue my writing in the living room. That may change once I finish the desk renovation, but for now the laptop is winning out on the desktop. Part of it is the keyboard but also part of it is due to the fact that I like to have all my writing saved to one machine, instead of having to worry if all of the versions are the same across multiple machines.

1 comment:

  1. Jer has had a set of modular Ikea bookshelves since high school. We've moved with them four times. Sometimes I wish Ikea stuff wasn't so sturdy. :)

    ReplyDelete