Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The First Step

The first step is always the hardest. Is this really the direction you want to go? Is this path the right one for you? Is this journey even necessary? I mean, maybe I could just stay at home and not have to get out in the weather and deal with all the hassle that comes with travelling. Maybe I can just skip this one and go back to the warm blankets.

Of course, the metaphor I'm going with in this blog is that life is like a path you are travelling down. And in that metaphor the first step would actually be birth, and since you can't just opt out of birth, you can't really opt out of taking the first step down your path. So regardless of how anxious you are about starting, or how much you may want to stay your warm blankets, you don't get a choice. The moment you come into the world, you are started on your path. Your first step is taken and you are on your way.

But where are you going? Where is your path leading? Ah, but there is the rub isn't it? As anxiety inducing as the first step could be, trying to figure out what your path is and where it is going...that is the tricky part. That is the part that so many struggle with and the part that will keep you up at night, fretting and pacing, trying to figure it out.

I freely admit I have no clue what my path is. I have no clue where I am going, what is in front of me, where I should step or what I should do. I am lost, stumbling down my undiscovered path, trying to figure out which direction I should go. And you all get to come along for the ride. Aren't you lucky?

This blog will be about me trying to figure out my path. I need perspective. I need to discover my path and to figure out where I am going. And maybe by keeping a blog and writing about my life, I will figure it out. I don't promise to always make sense or to always be witty or funny. I will try not to get too emo. My only promise is to write, to try to write at least once a week.

So there you go. Hopefully I will get things figured out. I mean, that is what we are all looking for right? We are all looking for some sign pointing out the way. We all want to get things figured out. Maybe someday we will.


No comments:

Post a Comment