Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Day After

Isn't the title just ominous today? "The Day After"...You can almost hear the "duh duh DUH!!" playing in the background. Have no fear though, this is a good Day After post, not one where you wake up hung over next to some stranger whose name you can't remember.

Yesterday was my first class in the new writing course I'm taking. I had high expectations and I am happy to say I was not disappointed. The class was small. There were only 4 students, and at first I was worried about that. In retrospect though I think it actually made things easier. Fewer students means fewer egos and more time for actual writing. The teacher was very knowledgeable, at least in my opinion, and very engaging. We did several writing exercises there in class and talked a lot about the actual process of writing. I actually figured out some of the problems I've been having with my writing and came out of the class refreshed and ready to go. And this was just the first class! So I am quite glad I am taking the class and hope it continues to be worthwhile.

I rode over to the class with a friend who is also in the class with me and we talked some. She reads the blog and mentioned how depressing my blog has been lately. And she pointed out that the world isn't ending and that I am still young, with plenty of time to make a turn around and improve things. Which is entirely true. I've been wallowing lately. I feel like I've gotten myself into a pickle and I'm not sure how to get out of it. But just because I don't know how to get out of it right now doesn't mean that I won't figure out a way soon.

I have been lucky in my life that I have always been able to figure out a way to move forward. Sometimes that way isn't exactly what I want, and sometimes in hindsight I realize that it might not have been the best way. But I have always moved forward and I'm sure I will again.

Being in class made me realize just how much I missed that sort of thing. I really loved being in college and going to classes. I love learning new things. And taking a class on writing...well that was just icing on the cake. Because I was learning something I really wanted to learn, and that made the experience all the better.

I feel good after last night. I feel more positive and a little more hopeful. I can't guarantee I won't wallow some more though. Life is still tough right now and will be until I get some things figured out. But as I firmly believe, you can't expect positive things in your life if you are filled with negative thoughts. You have to think positive and believe positive if you want good things to happen.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! There's a saying people apply to business but I think it's just as appropriate for being positive: Fake it 'til you make it.

    (Although if it were that easy to be happy the pharmaceutical companies wouldn't have any customers... so, uh. Hm... It sure is raining a lot today! Sentient clams!)

    ReplyDelete